by: Michael Silla
A Bible New Testament Church Service
What is…Its purpose…Its methods…Its benefits?
The Purpose of Assembling Together: To touch Jesus and hear his word.
- Matthew 13:2 Great multitudes were gathered together unto Him.
- Genesis 49:10 …unto Him shall the gathering of the people be.
- Luke 5:15 the news about him spread…so that crowds of people came to hear him.
The Methods When Assembling Together: Stop other activities and assemble with people.
- Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another…
Audible prayer is a priority: All people are to pray: the rich, poor, old, and young.
- Mark 11:17 My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.
- Prayer maintains freshness and releases God’s power. Acts 4:31 When they had prayed the place where they were assembled together was shaken and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit.
Fasting used with prayer releases the ministry of the Holy Spirit and ministries of the Word:
- Acts 13:1-3 In the church…as they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.
- Fasting and prayer gives one authority over Satan: Mark 9:28-29 “Why could not we cast the demon out?” Jesus answered, “This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.”
Audible praise and worship, in spirit and truth, is directed toward Jesus for who he is and appreciation for the things he has done:
- Luke 19:37 The whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen.
- Hebrews 13:15 …let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.
- Luke 24:52-53 They worshipped him (Jesus), and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, and were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God.
- John 4:24 God is a Spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
Financial offerings bring financial, spiritual, and physical prosperity to the giver while providing the resources for the church to minister the Word:
- 2 Corinthians 9:7 Each man should give as he purposes in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
The Word of God is the church’s first priority: The Word saves, cleanses, heals, brings faith, growth, wisdom, and spiritual nourishment.
- Mark 2:2 Many were gathered together…and he preached the word unto them.
- 1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.
- Acts 2:37 When they heard the word, they were cut to the heart…
The Benefits of Assembling Together: Jesus comes when people take time out from all other activities and assemble together unto him.
- Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
- Psalm 22:3 You are holy, that inhabits the praises of Israel.
Jesus does many things for us when his presence is in the midst of the assembly. He will heal sick bodies, cast out demons, save sinners, add people to the church, anoint believers to speak the word, mend up broken hearts, and fill us with joy, wisdom, and strength while he brings the church to maturity.
- Mark 1:34 …he healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils.
- Mark 2:15 Many publicans (hated by others) and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him.
- Acts 2:46-47 Continuing daily with one accord in the temple, praising God, and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
- Luke 9:1-2 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.
Jesus does many things when we assemble together. He fills seekers with the Holy Spirit, and confidence.
- Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spoke the word of God with confidence.
- Through Jesus we stir up one another to love God, love others, love our enemies, and do good works. Hebrews 10:24-25 Let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together as some do.
- He gives a song, a word, a language an interpretation, a prophecy, to strengthen the congregation. 1 Corinthians 14:26 Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, a teaching, a tongue, a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification (strengthening).
- 1 Corinthians 14:15 I will pray with the spirit, and pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and also sing with the understanding.
- 1 Corinthians 14:6 What shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?
Psalm 92:13-14 Those who are planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing…